View Single Post
Old 06-30-19, 10:36 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
nice to see some more discussion going on here. despite the fact my plan kinda fell through, it's still a fascinating topic for me.

yeah, the deal on acquiring some 7spd AS barcons dead ended, so i said eff it and got some suntour ratcheting ones off ebay for $35 in really nice shape. they say "raleigh" on the lever boots, but i'll probably live...hehe. anyway, kind of disappointing, but i figure atleast with these raleigh shifters i can use any of the freewheels i have including a pro compe (came original on the univega) and an identically geared shimano FW....both 14-32 5spd. iow's, i have several FW's for the long haul on my univega and can half step any one of them with the variety of chainrings i have at my disposal.... thus satisfying my romance with vintage ways .

re: downtube shifters....lovely equipment to look at and all (symmetrics are beauty), but i got to where reaching down while trying to safely steer with one hand and trying to shift with the other while hauling butt on bumpy country/gravel roads was not a comfortable situation. always hitting the right gear was super challenging sometimes, too.

the raleigh units are on the way. once i get'em on and the rest of the parts swapping done i want to do on this, i'll snap a couple of pics should anyone like bike pRon as much as i ....