Old 04-11-24, 06:28 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Modern?

Originally Posted by slow rollin
I will preface this with I mostly ride 26in hardtail or full suspension bikes from 2009-2016.

As you said the rigid 26, your gravel bike, and your fatbike do what modern gravel bikes can do. I presume the fatbike is kind of like a slow full suspension bike since you have so much tire to mash through terrain.
The scott scale was originally, and still is a xc hardtail. It should feel a little more capable then your rigid 26, gravel bike, and probably similar capable to your fatbike. It would be fun on trails, and you would be able to carry more speed then any of your current bikes. However it won't be as confidence inspiring or secure as something with more progressive geometry, or more burly parts.
So this is where more info would help. Do you plan on doing just greens+blues? Do you want speed climbing uphill and flats, or more confidence on the descents?
Personally I wouldn't look at anything with sub 66 degree head tube angles. They are fine bikes but you tend to lose the quick and enthusiastic feeling of a mountain bike when you rake the front end out like a DH bike. The higher seat tube angle tends to be good with a dropper post, and climbing uphills.
One of my older full suspension bikes came with a 76 degree seat tube, which slackens a little when seated on it. I noticed it was immediately better at seated climbs that were steep. However if you ride it old school it was harder to "get off the back" of the bike and move your butt behind the seat. Dropper posts fixed that issue.
Forks.... the cheaper ones have been getting better, but it's still best to stick with rockshox, fox, marzocchi, dvo, x-fusion, and even suntour. Air forks are better for most people since you can adjust the pressure and not have to change springs. It is nicer to have a thru axle on the front fork, but again most seem to have that. Try and get hydraulic disk brakes, mech ones just require more lever force which isn't great after a tiring ride.
I doubt I’m ever brave enough, or have the skills to tackle more than green/blue trails. I’m not racing, I just want something confidence inspiring that makes the sketchy to me downhills feel easier. I can climb well enough with the Pugsley fat bike. In fact I prefer climbing over downhill by far, even on the I’m sure tame trails I’ve ridden.

it sounds like I should be looking for a trail/down country bike? Would that give me the helpful geo, and sturdy enough parts?