Old 09-06-19, 02:47 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Current production 32 was 32.2mm wide on a 23mm wide Kinlin TL-23. It was only 27.5mm tall. Have you seen this update from Panaracer? They decreased the casing length again in 2019 so imagine the bars moving down the graph a tiny amount - my 38 GK slicks were 2% shorter.

https://www.panaracer.com/news/detail.php?id=13

I don't like such wide rims with narrower tires. Aero isn't that important but such a wide rim on narrow tire like that is going to shorten the acceptable pressure window as it decreases the height as well as make the tire more susceptible to pinch flats (even tubeless). IMO tire/rim ratio should be 1.8-2 or greater.
Thanks for the measurements!

The news release seems to only apply to the 40mm version being relabeled as a 43 though? No mention of the narrower GK's. I do wish that chart was available for all tires!

I'm not necessarily concerned about the aero impact of the width, but the future rims I have been considering are actually some of the recently developed aero gravel versions. Race pace around here is about 20mph, so I do feel that at least the combo of aero rims and tires of the appropriate width for them is useful at those speeds.

Originally Posted by Metieval
the only time I would err on skinny tire on wide wheel, is on paved road. However that has draw backs too. Like landing on your heel on a slippery surface.

As for MI sand I would presume that the new 700 Byways would be a good tire choice. not sure how the center slick would be for traction and what kind of hills you have. Ohio has short punchy hills, and I have never had an issue climbing them on snow on a 25c slick though. maybe it's the way I climb?
What do you mean about landing on your heel?

Yes, our hills tend to be of the short/punchy type, no room for long sustained climbs with the topography we have. Traction is never an issue since they are hard packed. Well, at least for any hill I would be taking these tires on. There are one or two seasonal use roads that are loose and rutted but 99% of our gravel/dirt roads here are easily driven in any 2WD family sedan when it isn't winter. I'm weary of a center slick section in the rain though. Our roads are chlorided and stay packed, but they develop a thin layer of slime on top that it seems a low knob helps break through.

Originally Posted by ingo
I have the GK SK 700X32 mounted on Cannondale 25mm internal width rims, they measure slightly under 33mm max width at 35psi.
Thanks!