Old 01-19-15, 11:01 PM
rideBjj

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Evo HiMod - Sram Red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
The trade off in leverage/performance is that you need to use a lower gear for the same gear ratio. If you are running standard cranks, you might consider compact, or you might need a wider range cassette. You can do the math with any gear calculator you find online.

I don't think there is just one "perfect fit" for each person, mine has changed quite a bit over the years of changing fitness and a variety of injuries. When I switched from 170 to 165 my bars went lower and further forward and my seat went higher and further forward. I also stopped having hip pain, which is what made me chime in on this thread.

Sounds like you might need to try some other saddles, too.

Good luck, I hope you find a way to ride without pain.
Thanks very much. I think what I'm going to do is see if I can borrow or "rent" (lots of shops in town, one probably has a beater set somewhere) a set of 165 standard cranks (bike has standard 172.5 on it now) for a while and see if that feels like a step in the right direction, without having to commit to buying them.

If I understand the dynamics, shortening the cranks by 7.25mm also means I raise the seat that much which gives me 15 total less travel in my leg on the upstroke? That might just do it.

Otherwise There seems to be cranks available for $300 from a company called Cobb in size 150, 155 and 160. None of the "big 3" make anything less than 165.

Then on top of that I can also see if one of the shops has a good fit person with some experience in this area.

Last edited by rideBjj; 01-20-15 at 01:23 AM.