Old 06-04-17, 08:12 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by Coldhands
...If you were heading out for a long-distance off-pavement tour in September, what sort of cold weather equipment would you take?

Thanks
Canister type stoves work poorly the closer you get to freezing, and really poor much below that. If you want your morning coffee, keep your canister in your sleeping bag at night so it is warm in the morning. Or, you can put some warm water in a pan and set the canister in the water to keep the canister from getting too cold while you cook. If your lighter is butane fueled, it works better if it is warm, like it would be in your pants pocket. If it was me, I would be using a liquid fuel stove run on coleman fuel or equivalent.

If there is snow, make sure your feet stay dry and you avoid getting frostbite. But if you motorcycled below freezing, you already have a pretty good idea of what to wear.

In USA, I like wunderground.com best for weather forecasts. It can consume some of your data plan on your phone. Type in a community and state to get the forecast. Small communities without an airport might not be recognized, if that happens try another community nearby.

This radar loop consumes a bit over 2 meg of a data plan each time you use it. If you are trying to decide if you want to push through the rain or make camp, this might help you decide.
https://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php