View Single Post
Old 03-11-19, 07:30 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Interesting thread. As a beginner bikepacker who rides gravel, I can offer the following.

I rode my gravel bike fully loaded for the first time this weekend, just to see how it felt with all the gear. The statement below sums up the experience well...

The bike has a 34 ring in the front and a 36 sprocket in the rear - about 26 gear inches. It did OK in the north Georgia peidmont but it was lots of work. A lower gear is going to be needed for real mountains.

Looking at Absolute Black 46/30 chainrings but a bike from Rodeo Adventure Labs is starting to look better and better, or something capable of true mountain bike gearing.
about how heavy was your bike+stuff?
for every touring situation, light or heavy load, having a gear lower than what you think you normally "need" is always a godsend those times of coming upon a really steep hill happens. Or you are tired that day, or your legs are sore, or you are hungry--its these times that being able to dial the output back and spin at a cadence that makes everything easier on you, makes all the difference.

but its really only being out there on your own bike with a given bike weight and given hills that you personally see what works, and if you hardly ever use that low gear, thats fine, just snick snick up gears when needed.