View Single Post
Old 04-07-19, 08:50 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,412 Posts
So, because the Jeunet is not secured yet and I have nothing else to contribute, I'm turning the Fuji Cambridge VI into my unofficial official Clunker # 5 challenge bike. At the least, its turning into an interesting placeholder.

The bike is hi-ten, but has some redeeming qualities. First of all, it is uncommon/rare/unpopular. That makes it slightly interesting. The other unusual thing is that it has a curved top tube, which to me is reminiscent of the old CCM flyte -

...without any of the other cooler features the CCM had.

Other than that, it has forged-ish looking stamped steel dropouts, some secure looking lugs, and dates to the early 1980s.

Like a rescue animal that bites the hand, this one has thwarted my attempts to save it from a 100% scrapyard doom by throwing me a frozen seatpost AND stem. But I know it's just because it still feels unloved. I got the seatpost out with some coaxing, but that stem is going to be a tricky beast. I want to actually save it and use it (since it was free and will contribute nicely to the status quo so far) and since so much is sticking up, my plan is to cut it off near the base and 'shorten' it for use later by grinding down a new wedge angle on it. With it cut down, I will also gain access to pounding out the wedge, which may be contributing to the problem. HOWEVER, the headset nut is also stuck, and so I don't want to cut anything before cracking that sucker loose, so it is all soaking with some penetrating oil after a few good whacks with a mallet.

Hopefully will have a fun update at some point, either with some stem action going on, or even a new bike in the shop!

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 04-07-19 at 08:56 PM.