Old 10-01-19, 06:30 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
A huge number of C&V road bikes can take 32 or 35mm tires. Tons of road bikes from the 60s, 70, and early 80s can handle 32mm tires. And even many of the late 80s models can handle 28mm tires. This is across quality from entry to mid to high level frames.
There are some higher level road frames in the late 80s thru 90s that are limited to 25s, for sure.
I guess my point is that it is nice that we have choices. Some will choose to put on the widest tires that the bike can handle. Some will stay with the skinny, high-pressure tires because they like them or want the bike to look as close to original as possible.

I understand the principles of physics. But the optimum tire size/pressure does assume a perfect road surface and a certain level of efficiency of the rider. The pros are much more efficient than us mere mortals. A rider who is feeling sore from every bump in the road isn't going to be as efficient as one who is more comfortable on the bike. But at the same time, really big tires are just going to feel heavy and sluggish and that will wear you down too. So while you can crunch equations all day, the truth is the best tire is the one that works best for the individual rider allowing him to have his best ride (which isn't necessarily the fastest ride).
Likes For NomarsGirl: