View Single Post
Old 03-23-14, 10:22 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Well, I have to say @SirHustlerEsq and @bikerjp, you are simply incorrect on this one. But this is way off topic for OPs question, so if we want to hash it out further, I suggest we take it to a different thread.

Its very silly not to consider sex/gender and intended purpose of a bike. No matter what I say, y'all will persist with your preconceived ideas (that the new bike makes me ride more, that the bikes handle equally). I'm happy to admit that for many people, a better bike might make no difference. But for mr, it has been an obvious turning-point in my training.

There I'm done unless one of y'all want to start a new thread on the subject.

H
I think they're suggesting that in your case the new bike is a bit of a red herring with respect to your training. What allowed you to improve your speed and training up hills was lower gearing and a shorter crank. Whether the lower gearing came with a lighter frame is largely irrelevant in terms of the quality of training it allowed.

What's important is having a bike that fits with appropriate gearing. You can achieve that by changing components or buying a new bike.