View Single Post
Old 03-25-14, 02:02 PM
zupreme

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, I've been where OP has been not too long ago.

One thing OP has to his advantage is that the buy/sell bike scene in the bay area is insane. There are so many good bikes and deals that you can really find what you're looking for if you're persistent and act quickly.

I started out with a bianchi vigorelli w/ ultegra grupo which is a pretty decent beginner bike. Got it for about 500 after a tune. Got a 2005 bianchi eros w/ 631 reynolds tubing for 250 a few months ago w/ campy mirage. I just purchased my gf a 2013 specialized allez at 350. If you look, you will be rewarded.

Im not sure if other people have touched on this but it may be something to note, getting a 1,500 bike may not be advisable in the bay area as a beginner bike mainly because of crazy traffic and bike theft. I actually dumped my Vigorelli and the frame is unusable. Thankfully the groupset was still good. Not too bad of a hit but i'd be bummed if my new $1,500 bike was done a few months after buying it. Or even worst, stolen.

IMHO, I would figure out what you want: steel vs. aluminum vs. carbon fibre. If you want steel, get a Bianchi w/carbon fork and a decent groupset. If you want aluminum get an allez with a decent groupset. Both of these can be found easily for under $800 on craigslist.

if you want to shoot me a PM I can locate you some bikes.

Good Luck!