Old 10-30-19, 09:30 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Here's one I made at Davidson in the late '80s, intended primarily as a track pursuit, but with brake holes and provision for a rear derailer to use as road TT.

Here's a pic of the handlebar/stem I made for that bike, for use on the track (no brakes possible):

You can't tell from this angle, but all 4 tubes that connect the grips to the fork are airfoil shaped, long thin teardrop in section. The upper ones are bigger, the lower ones are sort of like "guy wires" to take the tension from pulling up during the start, which is a fairly violent effort.

The rest of the bike is fairly tame, just round tubes, but with some aero fairing behind the head tube similar to a Laser. I know, everyone did that...

I wish I had photos of some of the more radical TT bikes I made, with airfoil-shaped seat tube and down tube. Some of them had a seat tube that was curved and airfoil shaped, which is not easy... Some of them won national championships, a 5th at Worlds in the TTT, some medal in the Team Pursuit at the Pan-Am Games (I forget what color), new 40k record in the Junior Mens etc. Lots of those bikes would not be UCI legal anymore.

Advice to my younger self: POIDH!

Mark Bulgier
Likes For bulgie: