Old 07-29-20, 04:39 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
How is this helpful? How is this harmful?

Columbus, OH police bicycle patrol.

I encountered this while lazily riding along in my comfortable, confined, resource intensive cage. This is along a public street designated as a 'bicycle boulevard' with 'sharrows' painted in the road every ¼ mile or so. We traveled at 16-18 mph for about a mile and a half, or 5 minutes. The street is posted for 35 mph.

This 3 abreast formation (two faster officers were two abreast ahead) bothered me. Even with the center turn lane open, there was no safe pass with the cyclist riding just right of the yellow line. I considered it poor diplomacy not only for cyclists, but also for the police force. It's great that the officers are out of their cruisers and potentially interacting positively with the residents.

What do the rest of you think? Is this more of the same (i.e. police on patrol disregarding parking rules and posted speed limits, when there is no emergency)?
Likes For Unca_Sam: