Old 11-30-19, 01:09 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I have actually had this conversation with a few people over the last year or so. I understand why they went away (fashion) but there were some really good ones out there. We have gone away from it but like with all things cycling it will come back around. It's just a matter of when. People will start talking about how with a triple system you can run a shorter chain and have a smaller/lighter rear derailleur, etc. Front shifting performance wasn't an issue at all for anything made by Shimano about mid line up and Campagnolo made some stellar triple setups.

If you're still interested then find some used Campagnolo Record triple stuff being sold used somewhere. Buy up the spares you need (springs/index rings for the shifters and jockey pulleys and an extra cassette or two) and ride it throughout the rest of your lifetime if you like.

It will be funny to watch it come back though.... and it will. Someone will be like, "there were all sorts of shifting problems back in the day with triples. Now with precise, sure and strong electronic front derailleurs with automatic trim those problems are long gone. Now we can get you the wide array of gearing choices in such a smaller and lighter package than current 1x14 groups!"