View Single Post
Old 08-15-10, 04:32 PM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First the bad news. there is no accurate ways of converting Lumen and candlepower.

Good news, most bike lights manufactor uses lumen as the measurement, but....... even that value can be differ depending on the manufactor. The better quality company such as Cygolight and Nightrider rating are more accurate while lots of the China made light such as P7 and MS are rated higher than the actual output if you put them side by side with a light from Nitrider with the same lumen. One thing I learned over my course of light shopping is to buy more lumen than needed as long it has a mode switch that can run them on a lower setting. You can use what you need and turn it up when the condition arises.

Yes, Led light does offer 200 or more lumens. Most bike light these day are LED. They differ only by what type of LED they use in the light head. You can have a low simple intensity LED like the type they use on small blinkie or Knog light. On the other end of the extreme, you can have LED emitter such as a P7 or SST50 which are much more brighter and more powerful.

I've gotten by with two multi-led headlights either side of the stem, one aimed low, the other a bit higher, but have had to slow down quite a bit to see properly.
I'm not sure what type of led healight you were using but I can probably say that most likely the one that is aim high might not be doing much at all. Keep in mind that the spread of the light dimish rather quickly at a farther distant. The only way to get by this is to have a better reflector that has a better pinpoint focus and thus "throw better", however without some good lumen behind it, you will not get much of a wide coverage (imagine a laser pointer). Most lights these day have more of a flood than throw because of the reflector design to keep the lighthead compact and small. That's why I prefer to have more lumen than I needed. I can choose the lower setting and get the flood in front of me and when needed, I can go to the high mode and get a farther throw without losing too much of the flood of lights closer to the front of me.

What light are you presently using? This might give us a better idea of how much more you will need.