Super D

Bikes: Canyon Road, Argon18 TT, DF Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
2 takeaways from this thread:

- This is why the LOOK Ergostem and similar 2-hinge adjustable stems are extremely useful and worth the extra expense when testing fits.
- Finding the right bar + stem + frame combo is a journey. It's also one that many don't put much effort into.
Agreed. I used a hinged stem in the pursuit cockpit I borrowed for worlds and it was terrific (except for the slight play until I cranked it down seriously, was worried about damaging hardware, wasn't used to putting that much torque into anything in the cockpit---ultimately ended up buying a new set of stainless hardware and refreshing everything after racing, just to be sure it was 100%). I think a hinged stem is probably ideal for any road or track bike until you're completely dialed, and then a solid might be good for less elements which need attention, and weight if that's a factor.

It's funny, I didn't realize how much the frame would come into play on the track bike fit, until getting everything set up for UCI regs. Then it was obvious, even though I was on the same size frame as my road bike, I was on one size too short of a frame for track. Funny, this probably happens to lots of people; I've just unknowingly made the same mistake others have made. Part of the learning process.