genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
I listen to both sides and can acknowledge the pros and cons. I've also read an enlightening (and forgotten url) on the evolution of bicycling law in the USA. Explains why the state of Georgia treats cyclist like traffic, then uses the outmoded (pre-lane division by line) to the far right expectation while making exceptions for the inevitable re-laning if debris, etc., is in the way (yeah, a motorists is supposed to know when that is happening). That is why it is suicidal not to ride like a motorcyclist while on the road. Then there is the part that says (and I am not making this up) that "I didn't see the cyclist(s)" is defensible as a motorist's excuse....

Some cycle wag wrote a pragamatic book on staying alive while cycling. Even though it is against the law (complete with BS reasoning about accidents and safety) in this state to be on the sidewalk, judicious use is his call and mine. Most of the time I actually am in the streets and taking the lane; at the most discretionary times, I am on the sidewalk. I am very courteous to pedestrians, they are slower and should be protected.... Gasholes in this city... are another matter.

I agree with the Maine(?) lawyer biking advocate that land navigation should follow naval navigation: if you hit a slower craft (vehicle/pedestrian) you are at fault, unless you can elfin' well prove the slower one did something REALLY stupid to cause the situation....
Marine law is a bit more complicated than that... there is a "rule 9" that states that vessels limited in ability to manoeuvre, while still required to make every attempt to avoid collision, are not required to give way to "lessor" vessels. (BTW that is a crude interpretation.)

I do somewhat agree however with the sentiment... as does the law, somewhat... in many states a motorist is required to "give way" to pedestrians. And motorists ARE required to prove a certain level of skill before using public roads... cyclists have no such requirements.