Old 08-12-19, 01:27 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Ding! It's a relative level of additional mental engagement to do work indoors through simulation of terrain and visual cues on Zwift or Kenomaps or whatever.

Guy has a smoking deal on a Kickr Snap. Not the nicest one out there, but for the price it's nearly in the price range of a new fluid.

I also currently have a 2nd gen Cycleops fluid. I'll keep it as my race warmup rig. I just find the fluid to be a soul sucker. Road feel is total crap since essentially zero flywheel effect, basically only good for doing "rote" intervals.

Also, are the Zwift race classes merit based or only w/kg based? I thought it was honor system on w/kg. Like, as a newbie could you fudge to be in "C" instead of "B" for a while.

I'd get smoked in "B". I'd like to hang around long enough to learn something.
They're w/kg based, and its purely an honor thing but people are pretty assertive about outing cheaters.

Originally Posted by Flatballer
I'm not sure I still understand the smart trainer thing. Is there a benefit over a dumb fluid trainer combined with a power meter? I'm assuming I'll try out some zwift this winter, but I just have a normal CycleOps Fluid II from years ago, and my normal power meter.

I guess they get harder as the virtual hills go up, and easier as you descend? Is that it?
Its just a much much better feel. I had a Kurt Kinetic with a PM setup and hated using the trainer. Once you get something like a Kickr, NEO, etc. the feel is great and it actually makes it fun.

Last edited by furiousferret; 08-12-19 at 01:32 PM.