View Single Post
Old 12-04-19, 12:00 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by csrpenfab
I totally understand. I was completely in love with my FX6S and put over 3,000 miles on her until I bought a Niner RDO carbon gravel bike. Since that purchase, the Trek has been ridden exactly zero miles! The drop bar gravel bike just does everything better for what I need. Let me know how your Pro's Closet sale goes. At this point, I'm hanging onto the Trek FX6 as a back up bike, but if I could get decent $$ I'd sell.
I just got an email saying they received and checked out the bike and are honoring the quote, so "the check will soon be in the mail". The quotes are non-binding (you have 72 hours to take action) so once you're ready to sell I'd just submit a request for quote. You have to describe in detail the condition of the bike, and also have to upload two pics of your bike, one from each side. They'll send you a quote with 3 offers:
  • one for credit towards a Pro's Closet purchase, which is the highest dollar offer
  • one for credit towards a purchase/trade-in with one of their LBS partners (you can use their website to find the ones nearest you), this is the middle amount, and you save a hassle in that the partner store boxes and packs it up for you. Trust me this was a pain in the ass even though I got tons of free boxes and packing stuff from my various LBSs.
  • one for a check, this is the lowest amount, but obviously cash lets you buy what you want from anywhere. They email you a FEDEX shipping label.
Keep in mind my bike was essentially "like new" so your offer may not be this high. And mine was completely stock (well I upgraded to tubeless and Panaracer GravelKings but I am pretty sure they didn't factor that in the offer price). My three prices were $1016, $928, $884. So I lost about half the purchase price, I got it on sale for $1799 and no tax on Memorial Day special. I strongly considered the middle option but I rode an Aspero, Grevil and Stigmata at the LBS partner shop and really preferred the Revolt, and they didn't carry Giant, so I had to take cash.

But what I didn't have to do was go through the hassle of reselling to a third party. I tried Craigslist and OfferUp and it was infuriating the amount of "fake interest" and lowballers that respond to your ad. A couple I think wanted to meet in a back alley to take it off my hands for me. I had it up for 10 days and not one single legitimate offer. I think I'm pretty much in a good place for a while with my bikes now, I have my aero, my racing/climbing, and now my gravel/commute bike. But if I ever decide to trade-in, I'll likely go with Pro's Closet again.
Likes For CarloM: