View Single Post
Old 11-11-18, 04:48 PM
Sharpshin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gauvins
You are certainly more used to hot weather than I am. This being said - why not riding from midnight onwards? And stop mid-morning in some air-conditioned accommodation? Riding at night can be exhilarating, especially if you can time your trip such that you'll be riding under a full moon. And by riding westward, you'll get sunrise at your back, meaning incredible panoramas.
Most of my bicycle commuting is before or after dark so I have no problem with riding at night but......

I would guess any paved road out there gets regular traffic 24/7, there just doesn't seem that many choices to get from Point A to Point B in Nevada, plus Death Valley lies between Las Vegas and North-Central California. Walking around out there on Google Maps, the roads also don't have a shoulder to speak of. It is impossible to tell exactly how close a car coming from behind will pass you using your mirrors, the head lights are too bright, I would have to stop and move off the shoulder every time a vehicle passes.

Plus, there's always the possibility of drunks.