burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm not bothering with the rest of the diatribe, but this is where you shade right into the nonsense zone.

People can have very different goals from that--they might just be trying to maintain, for example. You have to know a lot more about the individual and their resources/needs before you could make such a statement. You also don't know what else they might be doing with their calorie intake, or doing simple things like taking the stairs instead of the elevator. I avoid telling people what they "should" be doing (and my results have been good enough that I get asked a lot) even when I know their particulars, and keep it to "these things have worked for me" or "I know somebody this has worked for", and then they can decide if they want to try it.

Your energy output can be measured, the number of calories burned to produce that output is always an estimate except in laboratory conditions that would be utterly impractical on a regular basis.
You're not really the target audience of my comments at all.

The target audience would be people who are having difficulties despite feeling they are "doing something".

It's not my song and dance. It's in any number of health guidelines from numerous organizations and countries. "Moderate physical activity" is quite a bit more than some people actually do. I completely understand some people can't fulfill that due to conditions. But those that could have to calibrate the "in and out" other people above talk about.

It's not good to think one can eat a 1500 calorie meal twice per day because they did something active for 30min. The balance of that activity has to work out.

It's very very clear to me that this isn't happening in vast swaths of the US and other countries as obesity and diabetes races around the globe. And part of the problem is a mis-calibration in thinking we're doing more than we actually are.

Also, don't come in to the KJ/meter argument without understanding the background. So yeah, 1KJ actually is a really good measure to 1 cal.
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/h...lorie-reading/