View Single Post
Old 07-24-19, 09:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
You're not really the target audience of my comments at all.

The target audience would be people who are having difficulties despite feeling they are "doing something".

It's not my song and dance. It's in any number of health guidelines from numerous organizations and countries. "Moderate physical activity" is quite a bit more than some people actually do. I completely understand some people can't fulfill that due to conditions. But those that could have to calibrate the "in and out" other people above talk about.

It's not good to think one can eat a 1500 calorie meal twice per day because they did something active for 30min. The balance of that activity has to work out.

It's very very clear to me that this isn't happening in vast swaths of the US and other countries as obesity and diabetes races around the globe. And part of the problem is a mis-calibration in thinking we're doing more than we actually are.

Also, don't come in to the KJ/meter argument without understanding the background. So yeah, 1KJ actually is a really good measure to 1 cal.
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/h...lorie-reading/
Another time somebody posts a sales pitch as a link proving something.

Not that simple--the conversion is still an estimate: MetaCycling: Using a power-meter to estimate energy expenditure. Are you getting the right information?

As you so aptly point out, there is an obesity problem going on that no one seems to have any real handle on, so posting a variation on the "same song and dance" that's obviously not working really well despite the probably billions of dollars that have been spent on promoting it over the past few decades doesn't seem like a really important task.

I know I'm not the "target audience". I'm criticizing you for telling them they should do "X" when that message is also implying (actually stating in your case) "doing Y won't accomplish much".

As for calibrating, that's so individualized based on metabolic rates, genetics, and a hole host of x factors that are really poorly understood at this point that the likelihood is that anyone's advice to anyone else is pretty much useless.

I'll leave you to play guru some more, but that which you say is true is obvious (ice cream has a lot of calories, who knew?), and that which you say that isn't obvious isn't true.