Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3893 Post(s)
Liked 1,942 Times in 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by Grotug
@caloso Haha, yeah, except I get to 'borrow some other faster rider's legs' all the time, now!

So I guess I answered my question tonight about the 40/20 workout yesterday, because my body struggled to complete the 60+ mile ride (ended up only doing 56 miles). Somehow I lost nearly 5 pounds during the ride and hit a new low weight of 136lbs. (I'm not sure that's a good thing, though). My weight before getting back on the bike early this summer was about 148lbs. For the last couple months it's been fluctuating between 140 and 145. I dunno if maybe I just didn't eat or drink enough last 18 hours? I'm thinking I may have underestimated how taxing that 40/20 workout really was and didn't eat/drink enough after (though Wahoo/Strava both say I only burned 693 calories). It just didn't seem like an especially hard ride at the time and was only a 24 mile ride and one hour 23 min.

I weighed myself before the ride tonight and was 140. I then drank about 1.5 bottles of water; ate some food (light carbo snack and some protein powder) and drank two bottles during the ride and came back and was 136 lbs. I don't know what I'd do without protein powder. I get tired of eating. For awhile I was keeping up with the caloric intake, but seems I've slipped again! Whew! Sure does take a lot to keep this cycling thing going. I now have two days off the bike cause I work the entire weekend and hopefully I can get my hydration/calories sorted over next couple days. I think 144 to 145lbs (hydrated) is the right weight for me.
Are you tracking your CTL, ATL, TSB now? For me, the TrainingPeaks PMC has been very accurate at predicting my results on any given future day within the next week or so. I take morning resting and standing HR and HRV every day. I know pretty much how any ride is going to go. All this training adds up. You need to figure that out. The first thing that happens to enthusiastic folks like you who are getting great results is . . .overreaching.

Unexplained weight loss is a usual sign of overreaching, and is not what one wants to see. Don't worry so much. You're not getting ready for the TdF and your sponsors aren't going to leave you. Relax a little more. Life isn't all about getting faster and faster. All of a sudden there's . . .I'm not getting faster, I'm getting slower. Then what? It's a mental game. Take a long view. You're going to still be wanting to do this when you're 75. How to get from here to there?