View Single Post
Old 09-02-19, 03:26 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Ok, so if trail's issue is with their wording, I guess I get it. Its marketing, and it's what basically every company does and has done for decades.

Fuji's valite, Miyata's stb, and Raliegh's 555 being a few older examples where in-house/private labeled tubing is advertised as available only to a company. Fuji's was just ishiwata, miyata was in house and compared to columbus rifled tubing, and raleigh's was 501. Oh, Schwinn's Tenax is another.
And the list could easily continue thru today with most steel frame brands touting their 'natch' tubes, ACE tubes, 'drawnright' tubes, etc etc.

All City's ACE tubing is advertised as lighter than 853...in a way. The Cosmic Stallion with ACE is advertised as 5oz lighter than the Macho Man with 853. I think some of that savings may be in a tapered vs 44mm headtube, but it isn't all there.
If ACE is just 631, I would chuckle, but not be surprised. I would also not dismiss the bike as still being really nice looking and well put together.

Ramble and rant there. I just dont understand getting up in arms over marketing...but I am cynical and dont really buy into marketing much, so perhaps its infuriating because it 'tricks' others? If most everyone 'tricks' the consumer, then it's all just a wash. It's tough to tell 'quality' for carbon, aluminum, and steel frames without details of the tubing.
It is all feel good non-specific word-soup to make you feel better about getting some-kind of steel, and merely, 105 for $2,700USD. 105. For $2,700....I suppose you could call it a favor, even getting a carbon fork and not a threaded steel fork. QBP also owns Salsa that pull similar pricing.

Small wonder Shimano keeps having to unveil worse and more-primitive groupsets to continue servicing the middle/low-end price-brackets. Soon they'll have to debut the latest in 7-speed tech; they already re-released the very latest in *cough cough* 8-speed (Claris)