Old 02-03-20, 08:49 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Well yesterday was... unusual for winter. It was basically a sunny summer day for someplace like Wisconsin. I had to slather on sunscreen. The Garmin recorded a high of 79 American.

I did a double loop which turned out to be 44.65 miles. There was a massive wind out of the south which beat me up pretty bad, but also made for an amazing push on a long north bound stretch. On my first run through there, I was cruising along at 30 mph without even putting out a bunch of power. On the second run through, the wind had actually died down quite a bit and I was only doing like 23-ish. I thought I was just tired, but I passed a flag that had previously been flapping hard in the wind and it was just sort of fluttering. With the stronger winds, I didn't even try to fight the headwind, opting for recovery-ish pace, and then pushed a bit when the wind was to my advantage.

Got a nice PR on a section with a really steep hill. Overall, it was good ride, but I could tell I still need more endurance. The power was still there at the end of the ride, but I was just generally fatigued. Probably mostly overthinking things. I just want to do well at the next event which will be 30 miles of gravel.

Either way, it really was an amazing day to be out on the bike. Before the ride, the family and I did a picnic lunch at the park. I could write several more paragraphs on my kids and them getting older (about to be 4 for the boy and 8 for the girl), but if you have kids you know what I mean.