Old 06-13-17, 10:32 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Well, now we're talking way pre-cat 5... I mean I guess I'll talk up racing bikes if I'm around kids. One of the kids I coached gymnastics to got a road bike cuz he though it was cool that I raced. Don't have access to children anymore haha. It's not my mission in life to grow the sport, and it's cool that you care about it enough to actually go out and do things. I just really really disagree with creating more barriers at the cat 5 level.
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
No you got that wrong. I dont think its my mission in life cuz my mission in life isn't about bikes period. I love racing. But its not the end all be all in life. Making new racers isn't my mission in life cuz there is whole crapload to life. Freedom to live as one wants is the main thing I hope to see in peoples lives.
You disagree with "more barriers" because you think it would reduce participation; regardless if that's just your allegation or if there's more truth to that assertion, fine. Then you trot out the cop out of whatever, it's not important. If you are so nonchalant, why are you opposed to constructive suggestions from others and why do you care that it may dwindle participation? I'd much rather have fewer, more responsible racers than to have people who view the attainment of certain proficiency as "barrier to entry."

here i'm reminded of the argument against philosophers as they are so quick to spot any deficiencies in arguments and proposals of others but end up unable to offer any better suggestions. At least they are actually invested in the issue. You don't want to be altruistic, fine. But you are discouraging others from doing things because you think it may lead to fewer people who compete, and it's the competition per se you are interested in, not the overall environment of bike racing. You've ceded any credibility in your own standing when you declared that you really couldn't care less. What a bunch of cynical, opportunistic drivel.