Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
Motorized definition:[/COLOR]

: to equip with a motor

source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/motorize
And if we want to get into semantics, motor refers to an electric driven propulsion. SO, I can't use an e-bike, but a dirtbike, with its internal combustion engine, is just fine

Originally Posted by BigAura
Yes, because it makes logical sense that since a bike frame has a teeny little motor to help the pedal power, it is far closer to a motorcycle than a bike. Do you actually believe that, or are you being deliberately obtuse?

Originally Posted by alan s
At the same time, I had taken a train under the Alps and ridden 50 miles or so mostly on quiet roads and bike paths. Point is, the electric motor bike tourers will hopefully recognize they are engaged in a different activity than bike touring. Sure, there are some similarities, but fundamentally, they are not the same thing.
Originally Posted by alan s
I agree the train ride was not bike touring. It was transporting my bike and gear to another location. I needed to get to Martigny to see the Tour de France, so taking the train from Thun to Visp was the best option.
So, instead of just HTFU and pounding out the miles, you used a method to get you where you wanted to go faster than you could physically do on your bike? Huh. How can you say you were touring, if every last miles wasn't done under your own power? I mean, the TdF guys pedaled there, why couldn't you? I fail to see how them getting an assist in their pedaling is any different than you jumping on a train when talking about your tour. I suggest you stop calling it a bicycle tour, and start calling it a train-assisted bike tour.

Originally Posted by Doug64
There is a difference between travelling with a bike and travelling by bike . Do you want strangers establishing that line for you?
Agree 100%. Although, I will offer that I personally don't care what others call my activities, if it bothers them far more than it bothers me that is a personal problem for them to sort out. I used a few trains and ferries on a credit card tour, both for convenience and because the Dutch have a hatred for bridges. Anyone on here is free to tell me what I did didn't fit their definition of touring, and my response is going to be the same unchanging "what sort of life do you live that you really care about what I call what I did", and moving on to more important things.