Old 10-10-16, 11:25 PM
SparkyGA

Bikes: Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
And have you ever tried putting a bear bell on. The collar is way too small and I doubt the bear would stay still long enough anyway.

That being said I tour with bear spray and keep food separate from camp. Two years ago I did a diving trip in Jasper that required a trek through trails that had recent bear activity. I carried bear spray, a bell and an air horn on that one.
I live just around the corner from the wreck (literally!). I see divers out there once and awhile while riding the trails... Among the most random wreck dives in the world albeit with a really interesting history

I've noticed 2 things over the years of dealing with animals. The people who regularly deal with these animals regularly rarely/never carry a firearm and those people who are rarely in bear country tend to lean towards carrying a gun...

Personally I've lived in black bear/grizzly country all my life (Eastern Foothills/Rocky Mountains Alberta) and never even come remotely close to having any issues with bears. Good habits on and off the trail are key; be noisy, watch out for areas with a lot berries, keep far far away from any animals, stay far away from kills and eat in a different spot than you camp. This eliminates 99.9% of issues you'll have with any creature. Bear spray/bear bangers/firearms are extremely last resort.

I'm personally way more terrified of elk, African Lions (....), tourists in rental RV's and crashing into trees than bears.