Old 04-22-20, 05:28 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Week trips near Michigan
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Hello all, long time no chat! Hope everyone is doing good with the obvious talk of the day, week, month and year!

To get all the questions out of the way, last summer was filled with house buying and selling, a new car with no bike rack, and bikes in storage meaning not much riding and not much chatting on Bike Forums! This year should be obvious to everyone: no world traveling, a pay cut, and a glut of vacation that must be used.

I've got three and a half weeks of vacation this year. 2018 was my last big bike trip, so I'd like to devote a week to a week and a half of that time to another trip. Obviously it must now be somewhere I can drive in the US (no more than a days drive from Detroit), probably a circle tour unless leaving from somewhere in the Detroit area and returning on train.

Needs either convenient hotels or nice campgrounds along the way, as the wifey is on this trip. ...The wife likes rail trails, if any such option is available, but not necessary. We are cool up to 50ish miles a day, or at least were two years ago

Any and all ideas are welcome! Any favorite riding areas in the area?
As a Michigan native, I got my start in touring in Southeast Michigan:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...Back in the 60’s in the Motor City, I had an “English Racer,’ and longed to tour at about age 14, but then joined the car culture. In Ann Arbor MI in the 70’s I really realized the utility of bicycles for commuting, and began touring on a five-speed Schwinn Suburban, but soon bought a Mercier as did my girlfriend, later my wife. We toured in Michigan and Ontario.

In 1977 we moved to Boston on our bikes, as a bicycling honeymoon from Los Angeles to Washington, DC and then took the train up to Boston. We have toured in New England and the Maritime Provinces, and one trip to the DelMarVa peninsula...
In replies to several threads about touring venues I have touted Michigan:
"Suggestions for next epic ride"...

FWIW, after decades I still have fond memories of my earliest cycle touring in my home state of Michigan. Tourism is, I believe Michigan’s second largest industry, and it’s largely a rural / forested state with a lengthy shoreline, an extensive road system, and numerous towns and facilities, including campgrounds, spaced at convenient cycling distances.

IMO, an excellent, though perhaps mundane getaway. Just sayin’…FWIW (even as a cross-country cyclist).
However, for something completely different, might I suggest riding in Metro Boston. For me, it’s about a one day drive to Detroit of about 700 miles through Canada; about 850 through Ohio (by myself). Once, I drove to do the one day OneHelluvaRide (as well as to visit family).

FYA, I have posted about Boston:
Personally. I'm very happy cycling in Metro Boston, and have posted an informal Cycling Guide to Metro Boston (link) that would make a nice hub and spoke tour...It may seem parochial, but I think the cycling around here is great.

One can be in scenic countryside within about one hour from downtown, while passing through an interesting, compact urban and suburban scene. Furthermore you can extend your range with a convenient Commuter Rail that allows fully-assembled bikes during off-peak hours. In Spring through Fall it’s a temperate climate.

Besides the cycling, Boston is such a popular tourist destination that there will always be something interesting to do off the bike…culture, nightlife, sports and so forth.

[If] you would like to avoid the urban experience, and further out into New England could satisfy that condition. Camping near Boston too would be problematic, but not impossible. If you’ve never been here before, the experience may be even more…epic.
In my above link to Metro Boston Cycling I further link to MUPS and trails in Metro Boston and Cape Cod.

In any case.
BTW, over the years I have responded to several of these threads with open-ended requests for travel destinations.One thing they have in common is that the OP never informs us of the final destination, much less how was the trip, even when requested to do so.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-22-20 at 05:38 PM.