View Single Post
Old 04-25-20, 09:32 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
..BTW, if I may ask, where does your wife’s friend live? When discussing Boston with Detroiters, I like to find the equivalencies between neigborhoods and towns of those two cities.
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Sorry, completely missed that. I have no clue, TBH, and the wife doesn't have an address other than "she lives in Boston"

They're hospital buddies, she transferred from Ann Arbor to one of the major hospitals out there to experience the east coast and now works with organ transplant logistics.
That’s interesting. In my introductory post to this thread I wrote:
...Back in the 60’s in the Motor City, I had an “English Racer,’ and longed to tour at about age 14, but then joined the car culture. In Ann Arbor MI in the 70’s I really realized the utility of bicycles for commuting, and began touring on a five-speed Schwinn Suburban, but soon bought a Mercier as did my girlfriend, later my wife.

We toured in Michigan and Ontario….
I have previously previously posted to this other thread:
”Enjoying a nice little back road”
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Wow, would love a backdrop like that around here.
Hi @bobwysiwyg,

Noting that you post from Ann Arbor, MI with the big block
M, I have posted, “I recall Ann Arbor as a great place to cycle, though admittedly I do not recall any specific “enchanted roads”; (?) maybe Barton Drive.”

Besides cycling around town, favorite rides were round-trip along Huron River Drive to Dexter and back, and Whitmore Lake Road beyond North Territorial Road, and back.

My first weekend tour was out Pontiac Trail to visit relatives in Waterford Township, and back. I was a member of the then-fledgling Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring Society, and we did some weekend overnight trips to local state parts such as Pinckney. I also did a few rides back to the East side of Detroit via Plymouth Road.

In 2011, I participated in a Fifty-Plus Annual Ride (gathering) on the One Helluva Ride from Chelsea. The day before, we did a ride on Huron River Drive. Thanks for the opportunity to reminisce.

I have met several Michigan grads here in Boston, and I liken Ann Arbor to a distillate of many of the finer points about Boston, and imbued with Midwestern sensibilities.

Speaking of backdrops to cycling, in Boston (as well as Ann Arbor),
...I have ridden out West in the Desert, Rockies, and vast Plains, and while interesting and scenic, the views are unchanging for miles, and I really enjoy the intimate quirkiness of Metro Boston.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-25-20 at 09:49 PM.