Thread: Century Time?
View Single Post
Old 07-03-20, 12:57 AM
Zuzus pedals

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Best solo century is 5:19:49 moving time (18.76 mph) and 5:31:37 elapsed time with 4.532 feet vertical. That might threaten the 5-hour mark on moving time (but probably a little short) if it was 100% flat (+/- 40 feet per mile supposedly slows it down by about 1 mph given statistically average gradients along the way). That route included three categorized climbs (but 2 were barely categorized and the hardest section was 7.1% for 0.61 miles - 5.2% for 1.39 miles on the same climb). I'd love to try something flat like the Seagull Century (with no bloody wind, of course, and hand-up water bottles) to see if I could squeak out a solo sub-5. But there would always be people to draft in that, so it would probably not be possible to truly do it solo. And totally flat means no coasting or varying the muscle recruitment, no stretching the quads, tougher to find an easy place to reach for a water bottle, etc. Well, whatever. I'm fairly satisfied with what I've done so far, so it is what it is. But a sub-5 solo hundred miler - even if it's flat - is very respectable for a recreational rider.

Last edited by Zuzus pedals; 07-18-20 at 06:39 PM.