View Single Post
Old 12-10-09, 11:15 AM
atoms
Señor Member

Bikes: '86 Voyageur, '82 Voyageur SP FOR SALE, '88 Le Tour fixed Townie, 2011 Diamondback Overdrive 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Schwinn Super Sport Plus?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1503273329.html

in case that goes away, here is the text:
I have a black men's Schwinn Super Sport Plus for sale. Quick release tires, aluminum rims. Has a comfy seat on it now, but will sell with the racing saddle that it came to me with.

Probably a 62cm -- suitable for someone 6'3" or over, I believe. Bike was rideable as of this fall, but I haven't paid it much attention since, because it is WAY too tall for me. Needs new tubes, a little TLC on the chain but would be good to go after that. Perhaps a nice winter bike? Or a project for these long, cold months ahead - it'd make a pretty single or fixed gear. Also, it currently has completely awesome grip tape.

See pictures below and e-mail if you're interested!

(I've saved copies of the pics in case they go away and there is any historical interest.)

I got curious about the Fillet Brazed Schwinns and it looks like this is a pre 1971 model since the forks appear to be chrome. See:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/schwinn-braze.html

$100 is more than I was hoping to spend on my second commuter. I was leaning toward holding out for a Le Tour or even a 1980s or 1990s road bike (a Fuji or a Panasonic or whatever I could find that is lighter than my current primary commuter, a Continental FG conversion). But I'm intrigued by this bike and saving $50 by spending months scrounging garage sales and thrift stores does not seem worth it to me.

I would probably not convert this bike to a SS/FG, but I will be adding fenders and a rear rack to whatever bike I get next.

I would not pay the full $100. It might sell for that in Chicago during the normal people's riding season, but listing a bike like that the day after a big snow and when the temperatures are hovering around 0 F suggests that I have some haggling room. But I'm not asking what it is worth, I'm just curious about the existence of the model itself.

Has anyone here ever heard of the Super Sport Plus? I spent a while Googling it and came up with nothing. I asked the seller to confirm the name and provide a serial number if possible.

Thanks for any insight or opinions you might want to share.

Last edited by atoms; 12-10-09 at 11:42 AM.