Old 07-21-07, 04:42 PM
tallard
Your scars reveal you

Bikes: My Brodie's dead, start hunting for a new cycle before March arrives

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The first time I ever experienced a cycling death. I was 5 and walking back from spending my 25c allowance at the cantine when I heard a sudden crash from the street. I ran toward it and saw that a cyclist had been attacked by the "side fencing" that bounced off pick-up truck (you know, in the old days, guys had fence-like contraptions sticking out of the sides of the pick-up bed...). He was 16 and looked really bad, I didn't know him and ran in the house to warn my parents. Other neighbors had already called the ambulance. Which got there in 10 minutes, my mom wouldn't let me get near again as she feared for my soul

The teen was pronounced dead soon after. He wasn't from my town. I come from a region where 150,000 occupy a territory a quarter the size of France. Most villages are strung together by a main road along the coast and speed limits vary from 50 km/h within the village core to 70 and 90 km/h (43-55 mph) outside village cores to 100 km/h in non habited strips. My family lived in a 70 km/h zone, but it was only a 5 km ride to school. That was an example of a true road accident no one was at fault, and the teen would have died weather he'd been a pedestrian or a cyclist. I think that was the reason my mother tried to raise me as a scaredycat, it rebounded at her, I took the opposite direction.

About 2 yrs later, we were walking along the same strip or road with my little sister in her carriage, our beautiful black poodle ran onto the street and was hit/crushed by a car. I loaded the dead poodle onto the bottom rack of the carriage and we walked back to the house to bury the dog. But it is the price we are willing to pay to no longer live like prehistory were family and friends all lived near and didn't need 4 wheels or 2 wheels to get to the people or work that mattered.

5 yrs after that, 4 teens from my highschool were walking along a similar stretch of road, late at night 2 a little ahead of the other 2. A man fleeing driving farm equipment was fleeing from the tax man, he was drunk and forgot the equipment was open, the 2 first kids were sliced in half, the next 2 kids heard and had time to clear the road. He got 2 years in jail.

In all these years, I've know many more drivers and pedestrians to die than cyclists. It may be statistically anecdotal, but it nonetheless served as a learning curve in life. You will die, maybe sooner, maybe later, and usually you can do little about it. So go along with your life and be alert, but do not fret and DON'T make others fret. Live life to the fullest.