Thread: Summer sleeves?
View Single Post
Old 05-27-21, 09:22 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked 1,448 Times in 824 Posts
I use either sun sleeves, arm and knee, or long sleeve jerseys/long bibs, and sunblock. The best the thing I can do for sun protection is to get up and get out on the bike early before the sun gets more direct and intense. Even if it is in the low to mid 80s, once the sun gets high enough in the sky, it is too much for me. Top that with no longer able to cope with hot weather very well, my limit from end of May thru most of September is about 10 am.

I go to a dermatologist twice a year and have had numerous things cut off, and a whole lot of freezing other areas. A couple of the excisions have been with Mohs type surgery. One of them left a very noticeable dent in my forehead. Melanoma is what killed my father. It metastasized in his brain and was found after he passed out and busted his head open pretty bad. Just about 2 weeks later, he was gone. Like most people of my generation, baby boomer, I had a lot of quite nasty sunburns when I was young. I have always spent much time outdoors, sports, fishing, bicycling, etc. I do not like having sun block on, but I deal with it. Not cycling, not being outside, not an option.
Likes For delbiker1: