Old 08-10-20, 03:23 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
What are you missing?

I'm trying to make up for my commuting non-miles while working from home. It's going pretty well, but naturally there are a few exceptions. Things I'm missing by not commuting:

1. The "forcing function" of having to ride to get to work, because the car's sitting out there. Some days it's just too easy to loaf around, check emails, make some phone calls, then there's a telecon or three, and -- gee, where'd the day go?

2. Related to the first: early morning rides, when it's still cool. This morning was an example; rather than getting to work at 8:00, as the temperature hit 80F as I walked out the door about that time.

Not that I do NOT miss the forced 5:00 afternoon rides when the temps are still in the 90s!

3. Without a fixed end point, there's a temptation to go see different things every day. That's nice, too, but watching the progression of a works project, or a building under construction, or waving to the kids at the bus stop every morning -- those are going to have to wait another 6-9 months.

What do you miss about your (non) commute?