View Single Post
Old 08-13-20, 04:13 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I have been fortunate enough to return to the office and my daily commute for the last three months...in fact, my weekly weeknight meeting is now a teleconference, so I have time to ride all five days rather than drive on the day of my meeting.

However, during those first weeks of working from home I was worried I would not get out and ride, because like many of us, I need the extra help of going somewhere to get me to ride regularly. Back before I had a snow and ice bike, I would do the treadmill in the basement, but found it too easy to stop early, which of course you can't do when riding to or from work.

And when I was working from home I didn't do an afternoon ride, so I tried to make the morning ride longer. And without a destination I found I was cutting my rides a little short.

The older I get, the more discipline I seem to be able to muster, and I also tried to pick routes without easy bail-out options.

But what I missed the most was that sense of purpose which is silly, because on my weekend "pleasure" rides I will often go where the spirit takes me and end up riding much longer than my commute. However, sometimes I will make up an errand or schedule a visit with friends or family to give me the extra incentive to ride the whole route.

But it was that sense of riding with a purpose that I missed.