Old 09-24-19, 10:21 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Rest of the story can be found here.

I ended up being way slower than planned, had time for ~45 mins of sleep at the 400k checkpoint, and then DNFd the next day after getting a flat and having my pump break.

I still remember dozing off WHILE RIDING(!!) a few times just before the flat happened.. that thing where you nod off but then pop back awake instantly, so I didn't crash or anything.

Fwiw I did go on to finish a few other 600k's. Makes for some good stories, that's fore sure.
Good write-up... glad you finished a few more 600s this season.

Too bad on the broken pump. I've had two pumps fail on brevets, one was still usable; it was a lezyne of some sort with a gauge that had plastic threads for the hose that melted at higher pressures as the pump got hot, but I finished pumping up the tire. The other pump was a topeak that had a threaded end-cap that came off at some point during the ride and I only found out when I went to use it... thankfully another rider was behind me and they had a pump I could borrow... I'd end up needing it again less than 20km down the road. I'm at the point with pumps I might start carrying CO2 with me, the canisters are completely recyclable 'cos they are just steel; but there are plenty of people that have problems with inflators too.