wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Ice cleats while riding?

Just wondering: has anybody successfully used ice cleats or similar (on their shoes/boots) *while* riding a bike? If so, what kind worked?

As a bit of background: My town is covered in ice, and it seems that it will stay that way for the foreseeable future. I'm fine on the bike (Nokian Extremes rock), but when it's time to get off and get on my feet, it's a bit challenging. Parking the bike and getting into the office...grocery stores...pretty much anything, requires walking on thick, rutted ice.

Getting off the bike and then putting them on is not much of an option, since the bike parking areas are covered in the same thick ice...I've already had one spill and a few near misses trying to park the bike. Bonus if said cleats can help while putting a foot down at an intersection, since that's sketchy as well.

I'm wondering if I might be able to ride while wearing YakTrax or something similar. FWIW, I'm using flat pedals with (plastic) clips and straps on the bike, along with regular winter boots.