View Single Post
Old 06-05-12, 05:46 AM
Jamesw2

Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus, Motobacane Boris X7 Fat Bikes,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My first century was a 12 plus hour and self supported. I had several attempts at 100 miles and rides in the 80 mile range. One attempt was a 16 hours supported ride that got me 93 miles. The person who supported me needed to use the restroom and i had a flat and it was an hour before i was back on the road. I took my time, didn't panic had a flat course. One thing i did learn is pre ride sections and look for hazards like stray dogs , drainage grates, berm conditions, intersections and figure out what time you will arrive on a certain section of the road.
I like to ride north in the morning south in the afternoon. Shadows from trees will help cool the road and keep me in shade. If it is cool the opposite is true. West in the morning and east in the afternoon so the sun is on my back.

In open country where ther is not protection from the wind ,heat or sun pacing is your best adaptation to extreems