View Single Post
Old 01-31-20, 12:15 AM
Nubra 

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
I'm pretty sure if the OP decides to restore this bike he'll get everyone's support. The negative remarks are from the wisdom acquired by those who went this route.
Thanks for the support and the wisdom.

Originally Posted by garryg
I thought this site was about love for old bikes, seems some folks think it is all about making money with old bikes.

I do love OLD bikes!

Originally Posted by BFisher
Sometimes I'm surprised by responses. If anything, as was stated by garryg, this is a learning project, and a good one.

This can be done cheaply, and still come out decent. It'll just cost time.

Build a bike. Save the bottom bracket, stem and headset if they are still usable. Crankset looks fine from here.

That would make a nice errand bike.
It IS now a nice errand bike!

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Ten or fifteen hours of your time, a couple hundred bucks in parts, and you've got a decent riding bike you could sell for a good 80 bucks or so, It would be an education.
Cost was around $33. You were spot on, about 15 hours, including online time.

95% complete. Could use a better RD, and a saddle, but rides OK. Only thing new are cables, housing and bearing in the headset and wheels.

Rebuilt these shifters and they work great. Just cleaned them up and used silicon grease to keep from degrading the old plastic.

Derusted with evaporust, then touched up the bare metal with Rustoleum appliance paint. Lots of splotches, but will slow down the rust return.

Handlebars are rust pitted but used "Quick-Glow" on them after evaporust. Some bald patches on left upper side, but steers fine even with rusty bars.

Spoke guard cleaned up really nice.

Pedals cleaned up nice too.

Likes For Nubra: