Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
If a cut doesn't seal within the first 30 seconds, it's probably not going to seal on its own, but that doesn't mean that all of the sealant is gone. Rotate the tire so that the cut is facing up, pop in the plug and give the wheel a spin.

I don't understand the confusion about plugs, tubes and boots. If a cut is too big for the sealant, you use a plug. If a cut is too big for a plug, you use a tube. If a cut is big enough that the tube threatens to herniate, you use a boot. A plug isn't going to hinder a tube, but you wouldn't use a plug with a tube (unless there was already a plug in place from a previous puncture).
Ok. I was just picturing a flat from a larger hole that sealant doesn't work on, meaning the tire goes completely flat pretty quickly and by the time one comes to a stop to repair, that all of the sealant would have squirted out that hole.

For a cut too big for a plug, as you say a tube is the answer, so hence why I questioned why nobody above included above a tire boot in their kit, but they do have tubes?

Interesting to also see one mention of bringing a pump and a plug, but no CO2. Presumably there are now combos for TL Tire/Rim where a TL tire can be seated with the relatively low volume minipump capabilities.