Old 11-29-16, 10:25 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
That's too bad. It is by far the most valuable tool any mechanic can have. Too many people don't realize that their hanger is most likely already tweaked. They assume there has to be a catastrophic event to cause it to "bend". In reality most frames aren't straight to begin with. Putting a new - "straight" hanger on them doesn't help. Brand new bikes with new hangers still are not in plane with the cassette. Especially with carbon.

As a mechanic that does it all the time 70% (backed by rigid scientific studies that are statistically validated....or not) of the time shifting issues are actually hanger related. the other 28% it's cables, housing or chain. 2% is the shifter or derail.

It's literally the first tool I grab when any bike hits the stand. Especially at race venues. The reaction is always "how the hell did it bend?" "Well - did you put it on your car to get it here?"
Don't get me wrong. That's why I bought it. But the bikes shift fine, or so it seems to me. So the tool just sits there.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...