View Single Post
Old 11-22-19, 06:39 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
I was reminded today of how much of a challenge keeping feet warm is when the temps fall - and I even felt my feet getting cold at 60 degrees F today.

I have put my feet in plastic bags before (like sock linings) inside my shoes to keep the wind from getting through, but the plastic doesn't let my feet breathe.

Feet don't really need to breath. But keeping socks dry is critical to maintaining insulating value (unless you are wearing neoprene socks). I push the critical temperature for my regular cycling shoes by 1) using a pair a size larger and 2) using plastic bags both inside and outside my socks. My feet go into produce bags. Then my usual insulating socks. Produce bags and a thin pair of socks over. Liner socks stay dry and work far better.

For below freezing, the 45 North boots work very well and are very good riding. Sadly they do not come in the LOOK 3-bolt pattern so I can only use they with my least used bike/cleats/shoes. I live in Portland, OR which rarely gets "cold" so the Fasterkatt boots (down to 25F) work well for me.

Bah! Posted this a month ago. Sorry.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 11-22-19 at 06:46 PM.