Old 11-12-18, 05:04 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Assuming you can otherwise match the bearing, yes you can, but there are implications.

An angular bearing converts some of the radial load to an axial load. That's fine on a classic hub where cones thread onto the axle and can resist axial loads. However many radial bearing hubs lack this kind of positive resistance to axial loads and the hubs will tend to loosen. Angular bearings also need more precise micro-adjustment of the kind that threaded cones can provide. Without that it's strictly a nogo.

That said, I echo Joe's question ----why?
Ressurecting this thread. I am running White Industries T11 hubs, which ordinarily use radial cartridge bearings. I have a need to replace a bearing on one side, but I understand that it is possible to use angular contact bearings in tne White Hub so have been trying to determine whether switching out both bearings with angular makes any sense from a functional standpoint. The angular bearings, which are readily available in the dimensions I need, cost a bit more but not significantly more. Since no one ever answered the “why” question raised in this thread, I’ll ask again. Is there a benefit to switching to angular cartridge bearings? Any downside?