View Single Post
Old 02-27-19, 09:46 AM
Bikesplendor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to be clear, I am not promoting that practice. Although I understand the thinking behind it. These are thru-hikers. And the bears are black bears.

Grizzlies are one animal I single out (in North America at least) as deserving an extra level (or several extra levels) of respect. Perhaps it has something to do with hearing the tape of the guy (I don't remember his name at the moment, maybe somebody has it) who was eaten alive. That part of it is not easily forgotten.

As for black bears, I've had many encounters, and could say a lot about them and the discussions I've had with several experts, but can't right now.

I will say, though, in the interests of promoting caution, that there have been fatalities, as well as a much larger number of maulings. Their claws are sharper and longer than usually appreciated, and they have ways of using them skillfully and effectively. Their teeth are very stout, thick, and strong. And their musculature is quite a bit more powerful than any body builder's, wrestler's, or raccoon's. Also, they can move fast when adrenalin takes over.

Last edited by Bikesplendor; 02-27-19 at 10:25 AM.