View Single Post
Old 09-14-19, 01:07 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Tough problem. Saddle comfort is so incredibly subjective, and what works on many people often won't work out the same way for another person.

I'm in the same boat.

Old injures from back in the day mean I'm relegated to vastly-reduced leg strength on one side, such that the normal and customary pedaling "pressure" that helps keep the upper body erect simply won't (ever) work that way again with me. So I'm forced to be in a more-upright position that I've ever been, previously.

Of course, it's not like that speeds up the saddle selection or positioning problem.

About the best process I've found is: to get a decently supportive and generally comfortable saddle so that I can get in the more-or-less proper position for that frame (making corresponding changes to stem and/or bars as needed, of course); and then, choosing between saddles that are a bit different widths and support based on my sit bones and subjective minor comfort issues.

I'd suggest getting a sit-bones measurement done in a shop that knows how to do that effectively for saddle recommendations. Then, acquire a fairly supportive and decent saddle in that range. It'll still be somewhat of a guess, but a better one than winging it, I'd think. Be prepared to alter height, fore/aft tilt, along with the stem and bars. Depending.

In my case, I have such variable crummy leg strength that I still have, from time to time, uncomfortable numbness in my hands and occasional aches in my legs. Minor changes in saddle height, position and tilt help a bit. But as I age and my leg strength continues to deteriorate, I find that I'm preferring sitting more and more upright. A mid-width sprung Brooks will probably be my next foray into the comfort zone. I currently have a Selle SMP Martin, which is a tad wide and not shaped (in the curve) the way I generally like. So, we'll see.

Wish I had more. It's so subjective, that it's hard to nail a choice out of the gate.