View Single Post
Old 09-23-19, 04:13 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
...My rides had become just head down hacks from start to finish, not really taking in the scenery with no stops and was getting bored so decided I was going to ride slower and enjoy the places and scenery of where I was cycling ... my average speed has dropped but I enjoy it a lot more.

I also give the ride a purpose i.e. things to go and see like a quaint town or say to the top of a hill with a great view and stop or a while taking time to explore or take in the views whilst having a drink / energy bar and also look for different cafes to stop and grab a coffee.

It's given a lot of my riding a purpose as opposed to a circular hack and made it all the more enjoyable whilst probably extending my rides and not everything is on your doorstep.
I previously posted to this thread, “What streets do you like to ride on?”
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
All my cycling as a decades-long, year-round commuter and occasional centurian in Metro Boston ranges from dense urban, to suburban, to exurban, but no rural.

I'm goal-oriented, be it miles or destinations, so I take the Road as it comes, to satisfy my Goal.
Also in a similar vein, I posted to this thread, “What to do when bored with your bike routes? comparable to this current one,
I'm very motivated by novelty, and stymied by boredom on a bike, but I do have the motivation of commuting to work. I have found that when I drive my frequent, decades-old routes I often notice things I had not seen before. I think it’s because I can look around at more than just the road surface when driving.

So when the commute [route] is getting too familiar, I just raise my head higher and look over a wider field of view….
A local BF subscriber @rholland1951 who contributes hundreds of photographs to the local Metro Boston thread from the same 11-mile long MUP he rides, once commented something like that "just the lighting / time of day / day of the year makes the ride “different.”

So too does the direction, one way, or the reverse.