View Single Post
Old 12-22-20, 07:05 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,637 Times in 1,243 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
LOL! That is great advice, I will make sure to do that! I'm slightly intimidated to ride this one.... it's going to be like learning to ride all over again. I think this one has a flip/flop hub on it, which I think is super cool. I'm going to try not to run for comfort by putting a freewheel on it right away.
It's a hoot, I guarantee it! You'll get used to it after a while. One funny thing that happens to me if I ride my fixed gear a lot and then go back to a freewheel bike is that I have to remind myself that I can in fact stop pedaling and coast. Occasionally I'll stop moving my feet and my heart will jump into my throat for a moment before I realize that nothing bad happened

I've found that gearing makes all the difference in how enjoyable these are to ride on the road. Like Trakhak said, you'll probably want a shorter gear. My first fixed gear I barely rode - partly because it was a bit too small, but also because it was geared way too high, up around 75-80 gear inches, (I can't quite remember).

The next fixed gear I built up was my Motobecance Grand Jubile geared right at 70", what a world of difference!

Looks like all that will clean up nicely, enjoy