View Single Post
Old 01-22-21, 03:59 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
For me there are two rules in bicycle riding and life, for that matter.

Rule One: I have to do it...

Rule Two: I want to do it...

My rule one often leads one down the path of good enough. My rule two down the path of best results.

For me, even when I used to commute to and from work, rule two always applied to my bicycle rides.

The lovely suggestions for "How To Ride A Bike Forever" are amusing and close to the mark, however; the only one I fully agree with is #8. I learned, long ago, that using a computer can (and did) interfere with the pleasure and want to do it factors. I tossed my computer and never did keep a log book (well one year the company I worked for encouraged the logging of mileage, offering prizes for most kilometers ridden - I came in second).

These days I still hunt through dump litter, I spend cash that I cannot really afford to spend on bike stuff. I spend time at Bike Forums because I want to. I spend hours puttering with my bikes, even when it is -24 degrees celcius outside (bloody cold today - dog, with one rear leg raised, froze to the tree a couple of hours ago), because I want to. I go through the agony of painting and cleaning and storing and and and, all because I want to.

The results...

My first old road bike that I restored myself (too big, bent and I destroyed the original paint/art...

My last effort at restoration...

My present effort...