Old 02-17-21, 11:57 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Yes I read it. My point is they aren't very good 20 years ago compared to bikes now.

i get what youre saying but youre verbage is confusing

i have a 95 Marin Team Issue with a Tange Prestige frameset, fully rigid that was (and still is) an amazing bicycle. Being rigid, it can still roll with a modern gravel bike if its wearing skinny tires, or mount the 26x2.2’s and it is still just as capable now as it was in 1995. Fast, light, responsive.

Ditto for a ‘00 Yeti FRO - but i would say the vintage Rock Shox front end makes it a little less versatile for wanting to just roll gravel, and if it ever needs a rebuild, its going to be a pain

that said — those bikes are still enormously capable machines and are fun to ride on occasion

However - i ride my 140 trailbike now 95% of the time. Its just so much more comfortable than the old XC race inspired geometry and seating positions of the 90’s - and i have no real racing aspirations anymore

That said - with some minor tweaks of the cockpit on either one of those old bikes (namely for me, a shorty stem and some riser bars, plus a switch to a 1x drivetrain ). - these wont be competitive with a full suspension trailbike, but would be very competitive if you compared them to some of the steel bikes makers like Surly, Salsa or Soma are putting out

im just not going to do anything gravity oriented on an old bike like thaat, but i wouldnt do it on a Surly either
Likes For DMC707: