View Single Post
Old 02-26-21, 09:25 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3140 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Iawestrr
Greetings.

I have a 2002 Cannondale R700 road bike, and am looking to replace the original Mavic XP21 wheels. There are 2 main reasons for doing this. 1) - I hope to shed a bit of bike weight between the old and new wheels, whatever they end up being. 2) - I currently run a Sram 1x10 system. 10 is the most rings I can have on the old wheels. I want the new wheels to be able to accept either 11 or 12 rings, so that I can run either a 1x11 or a 1x12 system.

The bike currently weighs about 22 lbs (is 52cm), and I weigh about 160 lbs. I am the original owner, the bike has over 10,000 miles on it, and the paint job is the red-white-blue one that Cannondale did on this model after the 9-11-01 terrorist attacks. I have to stick with rim brakes, don't want to attempt to convert to disk brakes. I run 700x25 tires and have to stick with that size. There is barely enough clearance to get the wheel/tire off between the calipers as it is. I ride mostly paved trails or roads, rarely or never ride on gravel. Am prepared to spend some money here. What brand would you recommend I go with to give me value for the 2 points noted above???

Incidentally, the Mavic rims will be for sale when I make the change out this spring, if anyone is interested.

Thx in advance,

Mark VW
Something to watch out for here is, if you’re wanting to run 10spd now and road 12spd in the future, you’ll either need a wheel with a SRAM XDR freehub and a compatible 10spd XD cassette (which I believe only eThirteen make) or you’ll need a hub which offers a Shimano HG freehub and a SRAM XDR freehub replacement option. There is no Shimano 12spd road at this time, so who knows what will be needed to run that.

However, it gets really complicated if you’re talking 1x, because then you could be wanting a wide range MTB cassette, which adds a whole bunch of complexity to sorting out the freehub types. Shimano has been running 12spd MTB cassettes on their Microspline hub, but that won’t take your current cassette, so it’s back to decisions, decisions: do you upgrade drivetrain and wheels at the same time? Do you look for a hub which offers freehubs for both HG and Microspline?

All the permutations are way above my tech level, so I’ll leave it to others to sort that out with you, but be aware the can of worms you’re opening! It may be way easier to commit to a particular format than to try to future-proof it or build in options.